Welcome to the DC Chapter of the American Harp Society
Announcing the Mid Atlantic Region Harp Festival!
It’s time to make plans to attend the Mid Atlantic Region Harp Festival. The date is Saturday, May 31 in McLean, Virginia and will feature auditions and evaluations, a scholarship competition, workshops, concerts, shopping and a sense of community. Please spread the word and feel free to distribute our flyer and forms below to others who may want to attend.
Early bird registration has been extended! You now have until 4/30/2014 to receive the early bird discount:
- Postmark on or before 4/30/2014: $50 (save $15)
- After 4/30/2014: $65
- The first round of the Auditions and Evaluations needs to be conducted under the direction of the local teachers/chapters and should be completed no later than 5/3/2014. Students should bring their comments from the first round to the festival. The second round will be done at the harp fest along with the Theory tests required by the AHS.
- Calvin Stokes will be our guest artist this year. He will present a workshop and the evening concert.
- Adriana Horne will present an afternoon concert. It will be a great opportunity to meet our new National Symphony Orchestra harpist.
- Competition Pieces for 2014 will be:
- Young Artist Division: Berceuse by Nicolas Flagello (available in “Solos for the Harp Player” by Lucille Lawrence or “Les Plaisirs de la Harpe, Volume 3” by Huguette Geliot)
- Emerging Talent Division: Sarabande by Bernard Andres (available in his “Automates” book)
- Ensemble Music for the Festival will be:
- Dyades #1, #5, #7 by Bernard Andres and
- Danny Boy, Lilliburleto from Six Folk Songs of the British Isles arranged by Joyce Weaver.
Students participating in the competition and/or harp ensemble concert on May 31st will receive a 10% discount on the music if ordered from the Virginia Harp Center. Please mention the harp festival when ordering. Only originals are allowed. Students using copied music will not be allowed to participate.
The DC Chapter of the American Harp Society Presents
- Cost: Concert ($10 suggested donation to benefit the D.C. chapter of the A.H.S.)
- Workshop – $15 per person, no instruments needed, all musicians are invited to attend
Anne Sullivan, harp – Anne began her career as a concert harpist at age 12 when she appeared twice as soloist with the Philadelphia Orchestra. A graduate of the Curtis Institute of Music, she is in demand as a recitalist, chamber musician and symphonic soloist. Her orchestral appearances have included engagements with the Baltimore Symphony, the Delaware Symphony where she was principal harpist, the Pennsylvania Ballet Orchestra, the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia and the Opera Company of Philadelphia. Ms. Sullivan was a member of the music theory faculty at the Curtis Institute of Music from 1982-2002. She is the author and arranger of more than two dozen works for harp and has published a series of ear training books specifically for the harp student. Currently, she is the harp instructor at the University of Delaware and at Swarthmore (PA) College.
Joan Sparks, flute – Joan was educated at the University of Delaware and holds a Masters in Music Performance from Temple University, where she was a student of Murray Panitz. She has been a regular substitute in the Philadelphia Orchestra, a member of the Delaware Symphony, the Bethlehem Bach Orchestra, soloist with the Lehigh Valley Chamber Orchestra and the Performing Arts Society. Ms. Sparks and harpist Anne Sullivan make up the flute/harp duo, SPARX. Winners of many national awards, including the prestigious Chamber Music America Ensemble Residency Award, the American Composer Forum’s Performance Incentive Grant, SPARX was twice named winners of the National Flute Association Chamber Music Competition. SPARX has released three CDs, toured nationally, and performed live for web, TV, and radio broadcasts. Currently in residence at the Tatnall School, the duo presents its own concert series in Wilmington, Delaware as well as an annual summer chamber music festival.
Please contact David Crookston if more info is needed: firstname.lastname@example.org, 703-269-8929
The SPARX flute and harp duo in concert!
Joan Sparks, flute and Anne Sullivan, harp
Practice the Music, Not the Notes!
A workshop taught by Anne Sullivan
Saturday, February 22, 2014
Concert: 1:30 PM
Workshop: 3:00 PM
St. John’s UMC
5312 Backlick Road